Thatched House Insurance

We are one of Ireland's longest established providers of thatch insurance, with over 40 years experience of providing cover to the market. Talk to our expert team today about how we can help to find the right policy for you.

Key Features

  • Cover can be provided for rented properties and holiday homes.
  • Automatic cover for fire and storm damage.
  • We provide a tailored policy specifically for thatched properties.
  • Speedy, efficient and friendly claims service.

Key benefits

  • Accidental damage cover for owner-occupied properties.
  • Fire brigade charges covered up to €2,000.
  • Trace and Access of water leakage covered up to €1,000.
Trusted Experts for Over 45 Years


The Buildings (section 1 of the policy) also includes cover for:

  • Loss of rent earnings or temporary accommodation costs whilst the buildings cannot be lived in as a result of an insured loss. We will not pay any amount over 10% of the building sum insured.
  • Fire brigade charges up to €2,000 as a result of an insured loss.
  • Trace and Access up to €1,000.

The Contents (section 2 of the policy) also includes cover for:

  • Personal money and Credit Cards – up to €350.
  • Deeds, prize bonds, registered bonds and other personal documents – up to €750.
  • Stamps or coins forming part of a collection – up to €750.
  • Office equipment in the home up to €4,000.
  • Domestic oil in fixed fuel tanks up to €750.
  • Top Tip #1

    Have your electrics checked at least once every 5 years and ensure that you obtain an electrical certificate.

  • Top Tip #2

    Have your chimney cleaned at least once every six months by a reputable chimney cleaning contractor. Be sure to save your receipts as they may be required in the event of a claim.


  • Q: I use an open fire in my property and haven’t had my chimney swept for 2 years. Would I be covered in the event of a chimney fire?
    A: No, most insurers endorse the policy to ensure the chimney of your thatched home is swept at least once every six months by a professional chimney cleaning contractor. Please check the terms and conditions of your policy.
  • Q: I have just had my property rewired but I was not provided with an electrical certificate. Am I insured?
    A: Not necessarily. We require that you hold an electrical certificate which is not more than 5 years old. Give us a call to find out more.
  • Q: Is it a requirement that I keep fire extinguishers in my home?
    A: Yes, it is a requirement of the policy that you keep two fire extinguishers in the property in good working order. One must be stored in the kitchen and be dry powder.


OBF are Ireland’s leading thatch house insurance providers and are happy to discuss your requirements today, and provide a free, no-obligation quote.